BC Children’s and BC Women’s Redevelopment Project Phase 2 – Teck Acute Care Centre

  • City

    Vancouver, BC

  • Completion Date

  • Square Footage


  • Status


  • Value


About the Teck Acute Care Centre

The hospital project included the demolition of the A-Wing and L-Wing of the existing Shaughnessy building and the design, build, finance and maintenance of the BC Children’s Hospital, now known as the Teck Acute Care Centre, the second phase in the three-phase, multi-year initiative. The 639,400 square foot Teck Acute Care Centre opened in 2017, with the 30-year project concession period concluding in 2047. 

The project utilizes a public-private partnership model with the Government of Government of British Columbia and the Provincial Health Services Authority and has an original contract value of $471.5 million.

Located in Vancouver, the eight-story, LEED Gold facility, comprises an expanded emergency department, a pediatric intensive care unit, state-of-the-art operating rooms, advanced diagnostic imaging facilities, neonatal intensive care units, as well as medical and surgical inpatient units. All 231 patient rooms are private with beds for overnight visitors. The Teck Acute Care Centre also includes a high-risk labour and delivery suite and a new neonatal intensive care unit for BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre. 

Over 400 pieces of art were purposely designed and commissioned to lower anxiety, help reduce stress and pain, and promote a child’s healing.

Concert Infrastructure’s Involvement

In December 2020, Concert Infrastructure acquired an initial 30% interest in Affinity Partnership—the project company responsible for the improvement, operation, and ongoing maintenance of the Teck Acute Care Centre. Later in June 2021, Concert Infrastructure acquired the remaining 70% interest and now owns 100% of Affinity Partnership.

About Concert Infrastructure

Concert Infrastructure is an independent, long-term investor, developer, and manager of public infrastructure projects across Canada, and has been successful in forming strong strategic partnerships and securing solid investment opportunities for our pension plan investors.

Concert Infrastructure approaches each project with the intention of remaining a partner for the duration of the concession period, valuing long-term, stable returns for our ten Canadian union and management pension fund unitholders.

Concert Infrastructure invests Canadian dollars in Canadian projects that span today five provinces and territories. Over 80% of our facilities meet the LEED Gold or Silver sustainable building standard.

Concert Infrastructure is part of the broader Concert group of companies, that include Concert Real Estate Corporation and Concert Properties - a Canadian real estate company with over 30 years of industry leading investment, development, and management experience.


Learn More